11 September 2012

Review: Empty Net (Assassins, #3) By: Toni Aleo

Title: Empty Net (Assassins, #3)
Author: Toni Aleo
Publisher: 353 Pages (September 3rd, 2012)
From: the Author
Format: eARC
Add to: Goodreads

Please note that this is an ADULT title

Synopsis: Definition of an Empty Net: When a team pulls the goalie for an extra attacker, desperately seeking a goal.

Audrey Parker was in a horrible place.

She hated her job, her sister was getting married and moving out, but worst of all, she was in love with a total jerk. No matter what she did, every guy she met hurt her. All she wanted was her happily ever after. Her Prince Charming. Her Lucas Brooks! She didn’t know how to change her life but she knew she needed too.

Feeling like she was about to hit rock bottom, Audrey wakes up next to Tate Odder.

Tate Odder had lost everything.

After being brought up from the Assassins’ farm team, the Florida Rays to the Nashville Assassins, Tate hopes he’ll forget everything he has lost. He doesn’t. Each day gets harder to live in a place he doesn’t know. Even being the first rookie goalie to shut out an opposing team three times during the Lord Stanley Cup Finals, he still felt empty. With the loss of his parents and sister still heavy on his heart, Tate isn’t sure how to live like everything is okay.

But when he wakes up beside Audrey Parker, things start to change. She turns his life upside down with her kooky sense of humor and her bright clothing. She is intelligent and beautiful, and for once, he doesn’t feel empty.

Will Audrey be the person to fill the holes in Tate’s heart, making him whole again?

Or will another player ruin everything, leaving him feeling forever like an empty net?

Review: 5 Stars - Empty Net, the third title in the Assassins series from indie author Toni Aleo was simply put, FANTASTIC! She’s created wonderful characters centered around a Hockey team and its players. Aleo has kicked the sport of hockey up a notch and brings the heat to her characters lives that I’ve come to look forward to reading and love.

Being that this is the third in a series, we’ve already learned bits and pieces about the characters  Audrey and Tate (who feature in this title) in the first two books. While Audrey was featured a bit more in the last book – Trying to Score, Tate was only briefly mentioned, yet enough to have my interest piqued. And, wow! I wasn’t at all let down.

Tate and Audrey are both dealing with changes in their lives. Neither knows how to work past their issues or how to find their own Happily Ever After. Audrey’s issues run thick and one of the main ones is the current relationship she’s in. Wow, that’s a doozey and a half. He’s one of those characters that you hate from the first second he steps on the page… yet thank goodness for Audrey and her family and Tate.

Audrey is a dynamic character. She’s got a huge heart and goes out of her way for those she loves. In a word she’s fierce with what matters to her and her family. She has flaws, which came to somewhat of a shock for me because of how strong she is. And Tate is quiet and knows what he wants from life. He’s emotional and so wise for his age. I loved how calm he was and I found myself falling head over heels for this guy. Not to mention Aleo brings enough heat between these two too steam up any eReader… or, reader for that matter. She really outdid herself with this one from the first page to the last.

I seriously loved this book and looking back it makes me love the previous two even more. I had so many emotions that bubbled up while reading. I shed a few tears and then even felt like I wanted to kill someone. There was a time while I was reading that I didn’t know what the heck was about to happen and had me wringing my hands worrying and my heart pounding right out of my chest.

Another thing I love about this series is that while each book is centered on two main characters, characters from the past always pop back in to say hello. It was heartwarming for me to get a chance to see all the characters from the past come together when they each needed each other the most. I love books that give you a sneak peek into the lives of those we’ve come to care about.

The end was also pretty emotional for me and left me just about screaming for Pipers story – Blue Lines. I kind of had a feeling something was up with Audrey’s best friend, my heart broke just a bit for Piper. I seriously can’t wait to read her story!

All in all, Aleo’s characters have grown by leaps and bounds with each book. Her writing and stories just keep getting better and better. I love the world she’s built around these characters and I look forward reading more in this series. I’m seriously begging for more! There won’t be a book I’ll miss in this series, or any other titles Aleo will write for us in the future.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love