19 March 2012

Review: Never Eighteen By: Megan Bostic

Title: Never Eighteen
Author: Megan Bostic
Publisher: HMH Children's Books, 204 Pages (January 17th, 2012)
From: the publisher & Amazon Vine
Format: ARC

Synopsis: I had the dream again. The one where I’m running. I don’t know what from or where to, but I’m scared, terrified really.

Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. But in the short time he has left there’s one thing he can do: He can try to help the people he loves live—even though he never will.

It’s probably hopeless.

But he has to try.


Review: 3 Stars - Never Eighteen By: author Megan Bostic was a must read from the first time I read the synopsis! Which was at least a year ago. It’s a contemporary story about life, chances and what each person chooses to do with the life they lead and the time they have.

Austin, our male lead is sick. He has cancer and he knows he’s not going to make it to his eighteenth birthday. He wants to use the time he has left to try to help the people around him. To make them see that while he doesn’t have a chance to lead a full life, that they… the people he loves still have a chance to find happiness, to live their lives more than they are right now.

So, he sets out on a journey with his best friend over the course of a weekend, while he’s still feeling good, like himself. With Kaylee by his side and driving him around in her car - with the ever changing name – he sets out to visit friends and family.

Speaking of Austin and Kaylee, they’ve known and been best friends with each other forever. Austin has stronger feelings for Kaylee and throughout the story we see him fight with the idea of telling her before it’s too late, yet at the same time he knows that if she doesn’t feel the same way it might ruin what little time they have left and if she does feel the same way it’ll hurt her more because of what he’s getting ready to face.

While this was an extremely quick read and I enjoyed Bostic’s writing and story, I wish there would have been a bit more to it. I didn’t feel that I had much of a chance to get to know who Austin and Kaylee really were or to better understand their back story and relationship. Yet I understand that’s not really the point of the story, however, it’s always nice to better understand the characters you’re trying to connect with.

All in all, it was a contemporary novel I was very much looking forward to and enjoyed, but was hoping for a bit more. It was touching and emotional and I would recommend this title to those who are looking for a contemporary with heart and a strong message.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

4 comments:

  1. I liked this novel but I agree that a little more would have been nice. I would have liked to not only know the characters more but also more about the situations and why Austen chose to visit these particular people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review I've been hearing mixed opinions on this it sounds very sad but maybe a bit too short!? I'm definitely curious enough to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard that this book could have been a bit longer. Going by what you just said this seems true. I would still like to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! I was really looking forward to this book as well but was disappointed by the lack of development in terms of character. Things were just a little too easy for Austin and we didn't get to go deep into his psyche. I did still cry at the end though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love