21 March 2012

Title: Partials (Partials, #1)
Author: Dan Wells
Publisher: Balzer + Bray, 472 Pages (February 28th, 2012)
From: Publisher
Format: ARC

Synopsis: Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the world’s population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. The threat of the partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to the disease in over a decade. Humanity’s time is running out.

When sixteen-year-old Kira learns of her best friend’s pregnancy, she’s determined to find a solution. Then one rash decision forces Kira to flee her community with the unlikeliest of allies. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that the survival of both humans and partials rests in her attempts to answer questions of the war’s origin that she never knew to ask.


Review: 5 Stars - Partials By Dan Wells is one of those titles that’ll be hard for me to find the words to express how much I loved the story and characters. It’s always amazing when a book makes you totally lose yourself to the point where you feel like you’re walking through the pages, right alongside the characters. You can picture the landscape and breathe the scent in the air – Partials did that for me.

With humanity on the brink of extension after a war that knocked out most of human life, a small society is set out to try to rebuild it. Sadly the RM virus spread and few were immune. No baby has been born and doctors and scientist have been trying to find a cure for eleven years. Women and girls are forced at an age the new government has deemed appropriate to have babies in hopes that a new generation will be born and survive to repopulate the world.  Many of these woman and girls believe it’s their duty to have babies to do their part in hopes of helping to make a new generation that’ll repopulate the world. 

Sounds pretty grim, right? In the fantastic dystopian/post-apocalyptic world that Well’s has created, it is. Yet there’s hope, all down to our female protagonist – Kira. She’s a voice of strength, reason and is highly intelligent. She fights for what’s right, questions what she thinks is wrong, keeps her mouth shut when she needs to in order  to survive and is incredibly gutsy and in so many ways and on so many levels – Fearless. I loved watching her figure things out, to listen to her talk things through as she came to her conclusions. 

The book has a lot of science in it when it comes to the “Partials” and the RM virus, and I found myself utterly immersed in the fascinating story Well’s has weaved. Since I mentioned Partials, I figured I should talk about these super humans a bit. Well, they look just like humans, but they aren’t. They were created by the government to be a super weapon to fight in a war. When the war ended they were shunned and in the end rebelled against humans and another war started, the RM virus was released and the world pretty much died - humans along with it.

Kira see’s more and more what’s happening and thinks she’s found a way to cure RM, it’s risky yet she knows she needs to do whatever she can to help save the human race, and her rights to not be forced into having babies. She has an amazing group of friends who stand alongside her and fight for what they believe in as they venture beyond the island, far away from the city and deep into a dangerous territory in hopes of finding what Kira thinks will be the antidote to the RM virus. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this group of teens band together to fight for what’s right. Some of them going against what they believe in, yet believing in Kira enough to follow her anyway.  

Now, I won’t tell you anything more about this thrilling, gasp inducing story, other than you seriously need to read this book. It’s full of action, shocking secrets, betrayal, romance and so much more that I’m lost for words. 

Part dystopian, post apocalyptic and science fiction, Well’s blended the three together extremely well and has written a book that is one of my favorites of 2012. Characters that are utterly captivating and a story you won’t be able to put down. Partials is one of those must read titles that sticks with you long after reading and you’ll be more than ready to read again to help bridge the gap in the long wait until book 2 – Fragments is released in 2013. Yep, a long, long wait. Enjoy!

For more information on this new monthly Feature -
Blogger Talk: Novel Exposed, please
>>>CLICK HERE<<<

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Another person that liked Partials! I get so sad every time I see someone who doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I also ADORED Partials! It might be my favourite book of 2012 so far. If not, then it's definitely up there. It's everything I love in a dystopian book and more. I can't wait to read Fragments!!

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love