23 May 2011

Title: Laney (Brookehaven Vampires #1)
Author: Joann I. Martin Sowles
Publisher: Brookehaven Publishing, 296 Pages (October 30th 2010)
From: the Author, Thank You!

Synopsis: What would you give to be with the one you love?

Would you give it all, including your life?

In a small college town in Northern California, Laney Alexander leads a regular, uneventful life–that is, until the charming and alluring Oliver Knight enters her world. Who is this gorgeous and mysterious stranger? Or, rather, what is he?

As Laney’s sophomore year of college begins, so does an unbelievable adventure–including a love she didn’t know she longed for. She soon learns that Oliver is not ordinary, nor is the rest of his family, including a sister who openly hates her and a brother who will stop at nothing for revenge. As she fights for her life, and Oliver’s love, Laney discovers that the fictional world of vampires isn’t so fictional after all. Nobody is safe, especially Laney, Oliver’s most important priority, and he will stop at nothing to protect her. With her mortality at risk, and a commitment revealed that she, without a doubt, knows she wants, Laney’s life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn…

Review: 4 Stars - Laney, the first installment in the Brookehaven Vampires series By author Joann I. Martin Sowles was a fast paced story that easily swept me up in it’s whirlwind and dangled in front of me the promise of more. With some interesting and some fascinating characters – both human and paranormal – Sowles’s love for Vampires comes blazing through.

When Laney returns to a new college year she moves in with her long time best friend Keira. Their relationship was great and each girl had their own personality. I loved how different they were from each other; they complimented each other in their friendship making it easy and relatable. Laney is strong, independent and caring. Not to mention blunt and funny. I found myself laughing out loud here and there through the story. It’s always a plus when a book, character and writing can do just that and Sowles addition of humor was more than welcome. Another friend of the two is Carter. The relationships before the relationship faze between Keira and Carter was sweet and endearing.

When Oliver Knight walks into their lives, things start to change. Laney is instantly drawn to him and wants to learn more. As luck would turn out, he’s Carter’s new roommate. Oliver is… how do I explain such a swoon-worthy character? His relationship with Laney is slow and I could feel Laney’s frustration right along with her. While some books the romantic side of things often happens fast, Sowle’s has changed things up and let both Laney and Oliver get to know each other pretty well before moving things further.

Around the middle of the book, things fly by and craziness occurs. I couldn’t read fast enough through all the events that happened so quickly. While some aspects of the story and characters reminded me of other books, Sowles has put enough of her own twist to things, making this all her own.

All in all, I was extremely happy I had the chance to read Laney and am patiently waiting for the next in the series - Darkness. It’s the characters and Sowles twists and turns that made this an absorbing read. If you have a love for Vampires, as I do, don’t pass this great new series and author by without taking a further look.

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

1 comment:

  1. Great review. Thsi series sounds really good I shall keep an eye out for it :D

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love