17 May 2011

Review: Graveminder By: Melissa Marr

Title: Graveminder
Author: Melissa Marr
Publisher: HarperCollins, 336 Pages (May 17th 2011)
From: Amazon Vine Program, Thank You!

Synopsis: Rebekkah Barrow never forgot the tender attention her grandmother, Maylene, bestowed upon the dead of Claysville, the town where Bek spent her adolescence. There wasn’t a funeral that Maylene didn’t attend, and at each Rebekkah watched as Maylene performed the same unusual ritual: three sips from a small silver flask followed by the words “Sleep well, and stay where I put you.”

Now Maylene is dead and Bek must go back to the place—and the man—she left a decade ago. But what she soon discovers is that Maylene was murdered and that there was good reason for her odd traditions. It turns out that in placid Claysville, the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected. Beneath the town lies a shadowy, lawless land ruled by the enigmatic Charles, aka Mr. D—a place from which the dead will return if their graves are not properly minded. Only the Graveminder, a Barrow woman, and the current Undertaker, Byron, can set things to right once the dead begin to walk.


Review: 4 Stars - Graveminder, the first adult title from author Melissa Marr is a book that’ll have you sitting on the edge of your seat, drawing you in further with the unfolding story. As the creep factor escalates, the characters and their mysterious town and its past come together creating an absorbing and entertaining read.

The land of the living and the dead are twisted together in the small town of Claysville. With the town gripped within the shadow of a curse that their ancestors agreed to many years ago, a secret that only a few are able to talk about or even remember, Graveminder tells the tale of two families who’s paths are bound together to keep the town and the residents safe. It’s the job of the Undertaker and the Graveminder to tend to the dead and in many ways help them to pass on to their final resting place.

When Rebekkah is forced to come home due to a death in the family she has no idea what exactly she’s been willed. Never being able to settle in any one place coming home is welcomed, just as long as she doesn’t have to stay. Rebekkah is one of those characters who push people away. She doesn’t like to be tied down to anyone or anything. She’s strong willed and thinks she knows exactly what she wants.

Byron, also from Claysville came home to work with his families business as the Undertaker. He’s tried living everywhere, even following after Rebekkah for awhile. Knowing that the only place that feels like home is back in the town he grew up in, he went back to help out and be with his family. Byron is one of those guys who has never pushed, who has done things Rebekkah’s way. He listened and has always done just as she asked. When she pushes him away for the last time it’s a long while until the two are reunited again, when sadly she has traveled home, back to Claysville for a funeral.

The two characters push and pull each other as their story unfolds. They are pretty much in the dark as to what they are about to be faced with, as is the reader. I enjoyed taking the same journey with the characters, putting the pieces together along the way and being creeped out as the story progressed. It was a page turner from the beginning. I mean who wouldn’t want to read a book with a cover tag line such as this one has – “Sleep well, and stay where I put you.”

Marr’s land of the dead is painted vividly, the writing and characters all meld together extremely well making it easy for me to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Marr’s previous work, or looking for something with a nice dash of creepiness. Should Marr have plans for this to be a series, I’d more then welcome it and be eager and excited to read further about the Graveminder and Undertaker. I can honestly say that anything Marr writes, I’m more than interested in reading. Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I did NOT pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this HONEST review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

9 comments:

  1. Very nice review. I absolutely cannot wait to read this book!!! I've had it on my radar for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like my kind of book; creepy with a good and unexpected storyline. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome!! Can't wait to read it, thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started this book last night and, so far, all I have are questions! Which, to me, is a good thing...as long as they get answered. Thanks for the review!
    Mary
    The Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds great! The cover totally creeps me out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, another book from Melissa Marr. Seems creepy. She wrote different line from the previous series. It's totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only good reviews about this book! I want to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME review! I am totally picking this up today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont usually read adult books even though I am *cough* but I might make an exception for this one. I adored the Wicked Lovely series :D

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love