01 March 2010

Review: Some Girls Are By: Courtney Summers

Title: Some Girls Are
Author: Courtney Summers
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin, 256 pages (January 5th 2010)
From: Amazon

Synopsis: Climbing to the top of the social ladder is hard--falling from it is even harder. Regina Afton used to be a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, an all-girl clique both feared and revered by the students at Hallowell High... until vicious rumors about her and her best friend's boyfriend start going around.

Now Regina's been "frozen out" and her ex-best friends are out for revenge. If Regina was guilty, it would be one thing, but the rumors are far from the terrifying truth and the bullying is getting more intense by the day. She takes solace in the company of Michael Hayden, a misfit with a tragic past who she herself used to bully. Friendship doesn't come easily for these onetime enemies, and as Regina works hard to make amends for her past, she realizes Michael could be more than just a friend... if threats from the Fearsome Foursome don't break them both first.

Tensions grow and the abuse worsens as the final days of senior year march toward an explosive conclusion in this dark new tale from the author of Cracked Up To Be.

Review: 4.5 Stars - WOW - where to start. First off this story was amazing, which is hard to say due to the content. The writing and characters were spot on and sadly true. It brought me back to High School and honestly, I could see this happening, which is heartbreaking.

Regina is sitting pretty at the top of the High School food chain when, at a party one weekend she's deemed the designated driver. While being the sober one she's faced with a horrible situation, and the following day no one believes her. She finds herself outcast and among all the people she herself outcast - and surprise, surprise everyone hates her or thinks she's got what was coming to her.

This story isn't nice or pretty and it's far from sweet. There are struggles and emotions not only for Regina and other characters, but for the reader as well.

I saw Regina as someone who had to further develop her tough skin to deal with the day to day problems she had to face as she went back to school. And many of those problems were horrible for anyone to have to deal with, especially if you had to deal with them alone. Throughout the story it was sometimes even hard for me to feel sorry for her as stories from how she treated others came out.

She attempts to seek solace with a fellow outcast who sits alone each day at lunch. Their relationship, if you could call it that is very push and pull... rocky to say the least. Seeing both their struggles to come to terms with various things gave such a dark and disturbing story a bit of light and strength. Regina had to learn the hard way that saying you’re sorry to someone you've wronged won't solve everything in the blink of an eye.

The emotions I felt while reading this book really made me think of how we treat others throughout life. How people can be cruel and just not care. The only thing I can say that I didn't like about this book is how blind and absent the adults were. I felt that Anna and all the others who did such horrible things should have had something coming to them in some form of punishment and that the ending was just a tad rushed. None of this took away from the story, just something I observed while reading.

This is my first book by Summers and it won't be my last. I have Cracked Up To Be sitting in my to be read pile and I’m looking forward to that and more. If you’re thinking about picking this book up, do it. It’s well worth the read. Enjoy!

FTC Disclaimer: I DID pay for this book and have NOT been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

5 comments:

  1. I just reviewed this one today too - awesome review, I totally agree with your take...it's just one of those books. I think I need to buy it for my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great book! Thanks for the wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I <3 Courtney Summers.

    I'm glad you liked SGA, it's one of my fave reads of 2010 so far.
    Cracked Up to Be is one of my favorite reads of all time :) Hopefully you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so interested in reading this one and your review just put me over the edge! I recently read and reviewed Cracked Up to Be and loved it! I'm now definitely going to have to pick up this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your review convinced me, i'm really curious about this book and i'm adding it to my list, it sounds so great

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love