01 February 2010

Title: The Green Bronze Mirror
Author: Lynne Patricial Newark
Publisher: CnPosner Books, 128 Pages (August 30th 2009)
From: CnPosner Books

Synopsis: A schoolgirl looks into an old bronze mirror and finds herself transported in the Rome of Emperor Nero.

Review: 2 Stars - The Green Bronze mirror is a reprint of a YA title that was originally printed back in 1966. This new version comes to us with illustrations By: Philip Smiley.

The story takes place in what would be current times. Our main character – a fifteen year old girl by the name of Karen is wandering around a beach in England and comes across a Green Bronze Mirror that magically takes her back in time over 2000 years to when Nero ruled Rome. She’s found by some Roman soldiers and is mistaken to be a slave. She’s force to travel back with them to Rome and be sold to the highest bidder.

This book was sometimes confusing as to who was speaking during many conversations and I found it hard to believe that even a 15 year old, no matter the year – 1966 or 2010 wouldn’t be freaking out by not only the HUGE difference in year, but to be forced to live as a slave and really not be worried or do much about it. It was just not something I could see any one taking as easily as Karen did. It frustrated me that she just lived this way for months before showing any sign of wanting to find a way back and finally when she did show interest in going home, the ending felt rushed.

I think I would have enjoyed this story further if we would have been told more of the adventure our main character had while traveling back to find the mirror. The little glimpse we did get to see of this journey as Karen and her companion, a slave boy name Kleon was the most interesting parts of the story. I have to say that he – Kleon was the also a better part of this book. I wish the author would have let us see a little more into who he really was.

The copy I have has many printing errors and I’m not sure if this is an ARC/Galley printing or if this is a completed version, however this also took away from the story. I think that might have added to the confusion as mentioned above.

The idea for this book is a good one. Not lacking from adventure and would give younger readers a chance to use their imagination throughout the story. I think this book might be for to young of a read for me to be able to connect with any of the characters. I could see a younger audience liking this for the adventure that this story was. I would suggest this as a book for anyone around 10-14, boys or girls. It’s a read that would give any younger reader an idea of life and times in Rome some 2000+ years ago.
 
FTC Disclaimer: I did not pay for this book, nor have I been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I haven't heard of it before.

    By the way, you have an award at my blog!

    http://romanticscholar.blogspot.com/2010/02/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love