26 January 2010

Review: Beastly By: Alex Flinn

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flinn
Publisher: HarperTeen, 320 Pages (October 1st 2008)
From: Amazon

Synopsis: I am a beast.

A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature who walks upright—a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I'm talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It's no deformity, no disease. And I'll stay this way forever—ruined—unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I'll tell you. I'll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and the perfect life. And then, I'll tell you how I became perfectly . . . beastly.

Review: 2 Stars - Beastly is a modern/updated retelling of the classic fairy tale - Beauty and the Beast. The book begins with an intro into the life of Kyle. He's got it all, good looks, money, popular.... etc and knows it. He's extremely superficial in everything he says or does making him a bully and jerk to say the least. He crosses a witch who curses him and turns him into a beast to teach him a lesson about life... and can only be broken with a kiss from his true love within a 2 year time limit, or be cursed to stay the beast forever.

It was hard to read at times because both Kyle the jerk and Kyle/Adrian the beast were not likeable in the slightest. I know it's a retelling of a fairy tale and all, so it's bound to be a bit over the top. I get that. It's why I gave it 2 stars and kept reading.

I enjoyed the funny internet chats on the message boards to help others out there who are afflicted with problems such as being a beast. Characters such as the little Mermaid, a frog prince, etc. joined in the online chat. Those were the shining point that I looked forward to the most throughout the book.

In the end it was entertaining to a point. Not the best but far from the worst. I did see Kyle make some important changes once he got past some things. I just wish we would have seen him change a bit more. I mean 2 years is a long while and we only had a chance to see a little part of it.

In the end I still wasn't a fan of Kyle/Adrian, almost, but not quite. I just wish he had been more likeable and believable throughout the book, I think more readers could have and would have been able to relate to him from time to time if we had a chance to hear more of the story. Bumpy read and all… it wasn’t horrible. So if you enjoy the story Beauty and the Beast, then this is a story for you. Will I be checking out the movie that's being made about this book? At some point, I think so.

FTC Disclaimer: I DID pay for this book and have NOT been compensated at all in any way or means for reading and writing this review.

Find the Author

Follow me on Twitter     /     Be friends with me on Goodreads
Subscribe to my RSS Feed

2 comments:

  1. I loved this honest review - I have this book but have not read it, all the way though yet, I tried - but it just did not grab me...so I am hoping maybe it will at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Jenn, Glad you liked the review. It was hard to get into, but I really try hard to always finish a book. Even if I have to come back to it, I get it finished.

    So, yeah... I totally understand what you mean with picking it back up again. I have a couple books I need to do that with some time down the road. I hope you have better luck with it when you pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete

Comment and let me know your thoughts on this post.

Twitter Goodreads Email

Recently Read


Blog Archive

Search the Blog!

Learn more about RAK

Book Soulmates
Xpresso Book Tours

Total Pageviews

Copyright

FTC Disclaimer:

In accordance with FTC Guidelines, I have not received any monetary gain for any information posted within the pages of this website/blog. Any and all information has been provided by the publisher, author and or publicist for free. Content is also based on purchases made by myself or of my guest reviewer(s). Any and all opinions expressed within the pages of this website/blog are solely my own or those of the authors of any and all guest reviewers(s) or guest bloggers.



Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Me

Hi, I’m Lisa and I'm a proud bibliophile.

I enjoy reading and reviewing a variety of different books within the Young Adult, "New Adult" & Adult genres/categories. If you have any questions or if you are an author or publisher and would be interested in promoting a book, please feel free email. You can find my email under the "mail" button or under the contact link at the top of the page.

I look forward to hearing from you!


Authors, Publishers & Publicists

Have a book you'd like me to review or Promote? How about doing an Author Interview? Or maybe a Guest Post? Great! I'd love to! For more information about having your book reviewed here, please follow this link for more information:

Reviews, Interviews, Guest Posts and Contest.

Guest Reviewer Jenny

Guest Reviewer Jenny
Click for info & links to her reviews!

My Ratings

When I review I rate from 1 to 5 stars, 5 being the highest rating. I review based on many different things from the writing, to the story - to the characters and how I can relate to them or how they are developed. I also review based on if an author has worked their magic and was able to draw me into a story so deeply that I don't want to put the book down. If you would like me to review a book, please contact me or view my Contact Information and Review Policy for further details.

5 Stars - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
4 Stars - I Really liked/Loved it.
3 Stars - I liked it/Was pretty good.
2 Stars - It was, eh okay.
1 Star - It just wasn't for me.

Followers

Follow the Blog

Follow on Bloglovin

Follow By Email

Enter your email address:

Grab Me!

Blogs I Love